At TechEd, Brian Harry announced Visual Studio 2013 and Team Foundation Server 2013. He also announced many of the Application Lifecycle Management features that they will include. Also remember that a preview of Visual Studio 2013 and Team Foundation Server 2013 will be available at the Build conference later this month. Some of the cool shiny new features of Visual Studio 2013 include a ‘heads up display’ feature. This will provide the developer key insights into their code as they are working.
Another new feature (and an absolute favorite of mine) is memory diagnostics. The focus is particularly on enabling the developer to find memory leaks in production. The developer can take a memory ‘snapshot’. It can then be loaded into Visual Studio 2013 and allow the developer to explore the heap to understand what memory is being held on to.
One of the biggest announcements was Microsoft’s agreement to acquire the InRelease release management product from InCycle Software. InRelease allows you to manage all of your in-flight releases. It has been natively built to work well with TFS.
Then David Ramel talks about SQL Server 2014. A key feature of SQL Server 2014 is the incorporation of in-memory, online transaction processing (OLTP) technology. This technology stems from a project codenamed ‘Hekaton‘ and was developed in conjunction with Microsoft Research. What Hekaton does is improves transaction processing speeds while reducing latency. It does this by working with in-memory data instead of disk-based data.
That’s it for today. Be sure to check out the comic below and start the day (or end it) off with a laugh. Here is The Daily Six Pack!
Feature link: Visual Studio 2013
- Visual Studio 2013, Brian Harry
- 10 years later, ‘Star Wars Kid’ speaks out, Maclean’s
- Blocking Image Hotlinking, Leeching and Evil Sploggers with IIS Url Rewrite, Scott Hanselman
- Microsoft Announces SQL Server 2014, David Ramel
- Top 10 Ways to Blow Up an Agile Project, David Taber
- How to setup a 301 redirect, Janes Oosthuizen
For more excellent content, please visit
- James Michael Hare
- Interesting Finds by Jason Haley
- The Dev Box by Janes Oosthuizen
- Dew Drop by Alvin Ashcraft
- Regular Geek by Robert Diana
- chodounsky.net by Jakub Chodounsky
Today’s xkcd comic is especially for all you Batman fans!
Latest posts by Dirk Strauss (see all)
- The Daily Six Pack: February 1, 2016 - 1 February, 2016 00:15:18
- The Daily Six Pack: January 29, 2016 - 29 January, 2016 00:15:53
- The Daily Six Pack: January 28, 2016 - 28 January, 2016 00:15:56
- The Daily Six Pack: January 27, 2016 - 27 January, 2016 00:15:35
- The Daily Six Pack: January 26, 2016 - 26 January, 2016 00:15:09